1. Passion- The best students love learning. They are passionate about increasing their knowledge and bettering themselves in every way they can. They often look up and research topics beyond what is learned and discussed in the classroom.
2. Courage- The best academics find ways to challenge themselves and show no fear in accepting difficult tasks. They join extra-curricular clubs, sign up for more difficult and demanding classes, and join high-achieving study groups. If they aren’t challenged in school, they take on additional learning opportunities outside of school.
3. Vision- Great students are optimistic. They always see a better future for themselves and have the vision to create steps that will lead them to that better future. Sir Ken Robinson said, “For most of us, the problem isn’t that we aim too high and fail. It’s just the opposite: we aim too low and succeed.” Vision means that you aren’t comfortable in your current success, rather you are constantly visualizing even better results for yourself and mapping out a plan to reach those results.
4. Resilient- There are many excellent, high-achieving students, but none that are perfect. Every student faces set-backs and obstacles. Set-backs do not separate the best students from the rest. It is all in the way they react. A resilient student remains calm and composed in all situations and bounces back from mistakes quickly.
5. Confident- The best students are confident in their abilities. They focus on their positives and do not put limits on themselves. They know that they will perform at their best in every situation and they believe that their preparation was sufficient to reach success at any level.